What’s the first thing that comes to mind when you think of Amsterdam? Is it marijuana cafes? Grow-your-own shrooms sold by the bag? The red light district? Me too. At least, that’s what I thought of before I actually visited. Turns out, there is a lot more to the Netherlands’ capital than these few headliners.
Amsterdam had the pleasure of being our first city on our tour through Europe – meaning we got here fresh off of our red eye flight. If you’ve ever taken a red-eye, you know how draining that first day can be. But you’ve got to make the most of your time, so just remember to push on!
Some of the highlights from our trip:
- Anne Frank House – this is a must-see for its historical significance, and to remind us all of the light that can shine through even in the midst of the most horrific world events.
- The Pancake Bakery – famed for its enormous dutch pancakes and apple-filled pastries, this restaurant was the perfect stop to cure our sleep-deprived souls wandering through Amsterdam. For an added cultural experience, sit at a communal table like we did and swap stories with other hungry brunchers!
- Rent-a-Bike! You’ve surely heard of the beautiful infrastructure of canals throughout the city, so why not explore them all on your very own (rented) bicycle? Almost all of the roads have special lanes for the bikers, so this is one of the best ways to get around. Just be sure to not get lost… not that we did…
- Eat a stroopwafel – one of the most popular treats here, and enjoyed best while sitting on the edge of a canal and swinging your legs above the water. It’s a delicious caramel sweet snack – I only wish I had eaten more!
- Picnic in the park – to feel like a true local, grab a picnic blanket, a basket of food, and a bottle of wine from the local supermarket. We sat in the shade of some trees and watched the movement of people all around us.
Some of my favorite shots from of the city streets:
I was one happy gal exploring the canals! Even if I did get lost for awhile…
To me, Amsterdam is the city of flowers:
You can’t help but stumble upon many different markets, one of which is actually floating on one of the canals! Definitely grab a pair of clogs while wandering through the stalls.
Thanks Amsterdam! Until next time…